Maps & Travel Routes
The welcome mat is always rolled out in Northern Indiana. Whether you’re searching for beachside fun, a campus tour, some time to unwind, arts and antiques, or Amish cooking—you’ll find easy access, great accommodations, top-notch restaurants, and more along our main routes. Start planning your adventure in Indiana’s Cool North with our interactive map.
The Northern Route: I-80/I-90 Indiana Toll Road
The Indiana Toll Road provides easy access to the north of the region. Traveling from the west, you’ll pass by the shores of Lake Michigan and the Indiana Dunes near Chesterton and Michigan City, the legendary University of Notre Dame in South Bend, and Amish communities in Nappanee, Middlebury, and Shipshewana. The drive time between any of these great experiences is less than 1.5 hours. Venture just off the toll road you’ll discover The Village at Winona and the town of Culver, often referred to as the Cape Cod of the Midwest.
- Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore (exit 31)
- Washington Park in Michigan City (exit 39)
- Blue Chip Casino in Michigan City (exit 39)
- University of Notre Dame in South Bend (exit 77)
- Amish Acres Resort in Nappanee (exit 72)
- Exit 77 South Bend; Lodging and Dining cluster immediately at the exit
- Exit 92 Elkhart; Lodging and Dining cluster immediately at the exit
- Das Dutchman Essenhaus in Middlebury (exit 107)
- Shipshewana Flea Market and shops in Shipshewana (exit 107 and 121)
- Visitor Information is available at each Travel Plaza along the Indiana Toll Road
- Indiana Dunes: Dorothy Buell Memorial Visitor Center near Chesterton (exit 31)
- Michigan City/LaPorte visitors center at Marquette Mall (exit 39)
- Marshall County Tourism in Plymouth (south of exit 72)
- Notre Dame: South Bend/Mishawaka visitor center (exit 77)
- Amish Country Visitors Center\Elkhart County (exit 92)
- Kosciusko Visitor Center in Warsaw (south of exit 101)
- Shipshewana\LaGrange County Visitor’s Center (exit 107 & 121)
The Southern Route: US Highway 30
Tour the south of the region along US Highway 30. Traveling eastward takes you past the diverse dining scene in downtown Valparaiso and the city’s world-class university. Discover the quaint town of Plymouth—home to the famous Labor Day weekend Blueberry Festival. Enjoy Culver, known for Lake Maixinkuckee and its lakeside mansions, and the Culver military academy. Don’t miss The Village at Winona and the antique town of Pierceton.
Our new Trip Planner can help you put together a trip based on what you want to see in Northern Indiana. It’s easy to use, and has suggestions for first time visitors.