Shopping Getaways in Indiana’s Cool North
Posted on January 6, 2022 by Dina Miller
Find your shopping niche. Do you prefer outlet shopping, small boutiques, or Amish shingle shops? We have a shopping getaway for you.
Shingle Shops, Antiques, Charming Shops in Shipshewana
- Shipshewana is a shopping destination! Don’t miss the Davis Mercantile, Yoder’s Department Store, and the many shops downtown that are open year round.
- Be sure to travel the Amish back roads watching for shingle shops, indicated by the signs (or shingles) that announce their wares.
- If you visit on a Tuesday or Wednesday between May and September, you can also visit the midwest’s largest Flea Market.
Boutiques and Amish-Made in Elkhart County
- Visit Das Dutchman Essenhaus in Middlebury and browse seven unique Village Shops, each housed in an original Amish farm outbuilding.
- Downtown Goshen is filled with eclectic shops, specialty boutiques, cozy cafes and lively entertainment.
- Downtown Elkhart’s Gateway Mile is a walkable mile filled with inviting locally owned shops, restaurants, gorgeous gardens, museums and more.
Outlet Shopping and Boutiques in Michigan City LaPorte
- Downtown LaPorte offers classy antiques, boutiques, and specialty shops.
- Michigan City is an edgy and artistic community, and their downtown, the Uptown Arts District, is buzzing with hip breweries, eateries, boutiques and galleries.
- Lighthouse Place Premium Outlets is where the best brand names are available at unbelievable prices. From Adidas to Zumiez (and everything in between) you’ll love the shopping—and the savings.
Boutiques and Eclectic Shops in Indiana Dunes
- The Schoolhouse Shop and Antiques, a former 1886 Porter County Schoolhouse, is a shopping destination that offers an eclectic array of antiques and gifts near the Indiana Dunes
- In Chesterton wander through the clothing and homeware shops, get lost in the aisles of the bookstore, or spend an afternoon exploring the antique mall. Enjoy Chesterton’s European Market on Saturdays or the Coffee Creek Farmers Market on Wednesdays from May to October.
- The streets of historic downtown Valparaiso are filled with unique gift shops, clothing stores, antique shops, and gourmet bakeries.