It’s a great idea to call an attraction, restaurant and shop to make sure they’re open before visiting.
⇐ 20 minutes to The Barns at Nappanee ⇒ Just minutes to the Heritage Trail loop
2. This fifth generation family-owned u-pick apple orchard and pumpkin patch at Kercher’s Sunrise Orchard, specializes in homegrown produce and homemade products like October Gold Cider (fresh pressed on site), gourds, and free hayrides to the pumpkin patch Saturdays and Sundays every weekend in October
Learn more about the best Farm Markets in Northern Indiana
⇐ Just minutes to Kercher's ⇒ 32 minutes to Rum Village Aerial Adventure Park
3. Follow the Heritage Trail: With the help of a free audio guide—complete with intriguing historical tidbits—you easily can devote a day to this 90-mile route discovering the region’s rich, diverse heritage. This scenic winding loop takes you through the vibrant communities of Elkhart, Goshen, Middlebury, Nappanee, Bristol, Wakarusa and Shipshewana. It’s safe, easy to explore, easy on your budget and in addition to the fall foliage, you’re sure to discover fun at every turn.
Discover more great places to see fall foliage in Indiana’s Cool North.
⇐ 32 minutes to The Heritage Trail ⇒ 44 minutes to Minich Farms Flower Patch
4. Experience an aerial adventure park by conquering treetop trails ranging from 16-60 feet in the air. Self guided courses allow you to take on obstacles and zip lines while you maneuver through the different trails. There are thrills to satisfy all adventure types!
Indiana’s Cool North offers so many outdoor adventures that you will want to try this fall.
⇐ 44 minutes to Rum Village Aerial Adventure Park ⇒ 10 minutes to Garwood Orchards
5. This place is loaded with fall flowers, including dahlias, potted mums, and Teddy Bear sunflowers. Peruse unique heirloom varieties of pumpkins, and pet the resident goats. Mark your calendar for a big Fall Fest on September 25, 2021 from 10am-6pm, complete with a food truck, local craft classes that include painting flower pictures, and music.
Many of our area gardens continue to be places of beauty with fall blooms.
⇐ 10 minutes to Minich Farms ⇒ 12 minutes to Coulter's
6. Come for the amazing array of apples (think Honeycrisp, Fuji, Jonagold, Pixie Crunch and so many more) you can pick yourself or buy already harvested. But don’t miss Garwood’s legendary donuts, cider, and pies. This fifth-generation orchard also offers fields of u-pick sunflowers and plenty of pumpkins, plus wagon and pony rides.
Northern Indiana has a rich and diverse culture of artisans, crafters and farmers, and the Art and Earth Trail perfectly showcases these nowhere-else-to-be-found treasures.
⇐ 12 minutes to Garwood Orchards ⇒ 30 minutes or less to Paddling & Fishing
7. The whole family will love hayrides to the pumpkin patch to pick your own, corn mazes and pony rides, plus delicious homemade food and cider at Coulter’s. Stock up on apples and fall decorating items such as Indian corn and gourds.
See what else is happening this fall in our listing of events for Indiana’s Cool North.
⇐ 30 minutes or less to Coulter's Produce ⇒ 9 minutes (varies) to Imagination Glen Mountain Biking
8. Explore the fall scenery from the water by paddling and fishing in the Indiana Dunes. Fish for trout along the Lake Michigan shoreline, catch chinook and coho salmon in local streams or watch wildlife while paddling the Kankakee or East Branch of the Little Calumet River.
Ready for something sweet from a bakery or a delicious dessert? Find out which of our favorite is near you!
⇐ 9 Minutes to Fishing & Paddling ⇒ 7 minutes to Indiana Dunes Bicycling Tour
9. Mountain biking might be the most exciting way to view the changing leaves in autumn. Whether you’re an experienced mountain biker or completely new to the sport, Creekside Trails and the Outback Trail at Imagination Glen Park have courses with twists, turns, and (optional) obstacles for all skill levels.
Fall is a great time to go camping. Discover the best camping spots in Northern Indiana.
⇐ 7 minutes to Imagination Glen
10. Explore the beautiful landscapes, small-town charm, and local flavor of the Indiana Dunes area on the Indiana Dunes Bicycling Tour. This self-guided bicycling route takes road cyclists on the perfect route around the county with food, drink, and attraction stops along the way. Cyclists can ride just one part, break it up into a more leisurely overnight adventure, or challenge themselves to complete the route in one day.
Learn more about the best bike trails in Indiana’s Cool North.
See individual theatres for schedule of shows and concerts.
Indiana's Cool North
Indiana's Cool North has a number of theatres. See the individual theatres for their show and concert schedules.View Details
Auctions are held every Wednesday, year-round
Auction Buildings and Barns at Shipshewana Trading Place
Six to ten auctioneers simultaneously sell antiques, collectibles, estate items, and more.View Details
November 05 - December 31, 2022
Experience the magic of Shipshewana during Christmas time. Shipshewana will put you in the Christmas spirit with holiday lights, musicals, and much more.View Details
Nov 12-Dec 30, 2022
Indiana Welcome Center
The Indiana Welcome Center features six animated displays depicting scenes from the holiday classic "A Christmas Story."View Details
November 18-20 (Friday-Sunday); Nov 25 – Dec 31 (seven days/week); (Closed 12/8, 12/25, & 12/26)
Shipshewana Auction & Flea Market
Features more than two million LED Christmas lights displayed in a mile and a half long symphony of colorful light scenesView Details
Friday-Sunday nights, November 25-27, Dec 2-4, 9-11, and 16-23 (8 nights in a row)
Wellfield Botanic Gardens
Winter Wonderland Holiday Lights will transport you to a magical setting of lights, sound and beautyView Details
Friday-Sunday, Nov 26, 27, 28 and Dec 2, 3, 4
The magical sights and sounds of German style Christmas markets done with small town American style!View Details