It’s a great idea to call an attraction, restaurant and shop to make sure they’re open before visiting.
⇐ 20 minutes to The Barns at Nappanee ⇒ Just minutes to the Heritage Trail loop
2. This fifth generation family-owned u-pick apple orchard and pumpkin patch at Kercher’s Sunrise Orchard, specializes in homegrown produce and homemade products like October Gold Cider (fresh pressed on site), gourds, and free hayrides to the pumpkin patch Saturdays and Sundays every weekend in October
Learn more about the best Farm Markets in Northern Indiana
⇐ Just minutes to Kercher's ⇒ 32 minutes to Rum Village Aerial Adventure Park
3. Follow the Heritage Trail: With the help of a free audio guide—complete with intriguing historical tidbits—you easily can devote a day to this 90-mile route discovering the region’s rich, diverse heritage. This scenic winding loop takes you through the vibrant communities of Elkhart, Goshen, Middlebury, Nappanee, Bristol, Wakarusa and Shipshewana. It’s safe, easy to explore, easy on your budget and in addition to the fall foliage, you’re sure to discover fun at every turn.
Discover more great places to see fall foliage in Indiana’s Cool North.
⇐ 32 minutes to The Heritage Trail ⇒ 44 minutes to Minich Farms Flower Patch
4. Experience an aerial adventure park by conquering treetop trails ranging from 16-60 feet in the air. Self guided courses allow you to take on obstacles and zip lines while you maneuver through the different trails. There are thrills to satisfy all adventure types!
Indiana’s Cool North offers so many outdoor adventures that you will want to try this fall.
⇐ 44 minutes to Rum Village Aerial Adventure Park ⇒ 10 minutes to Garwood Orchards
5. This place is loaded with fall flowers, including dahlias, potted mums, and Teddy Bear sunflowers. Peruse unique heirloom varieties of pumpkins, and pet the resident goats. Mark your calendar for a big Fall Fest on September 25, 2021 from 10am-6pm, complete with a food truck, local craft classes that include painting flower pictures, and music.
Many of our area gardens continue to be places of beauty with fall blooms.
⇐ 10 minutes to Minich Farms ⇒ 12 minutes to Coulter's
6. Come for the amazing array of apples (think Honeycrisp, Fuji, Jonagold, Pixie Crunch and so many more) you can pick yourself or buy already harvested. But don’t miss Garwood’s legendary donuts, cider, and pies. This fifth-generation orchard also offers fields of u-pick sunflowers and plenty of pumpkins, plus wagon and pony rides.
Northern Indiana has a rich and diverse culture of artisans, crafters and farmers, and the Art and Earth Trail perfectly showcases these nowhere-else-to-be-found treasures.
⇐ 12 minutes to Garwood Orchards ⇒ 30 minutes or less to Paddling & Fishing
7. The whole family will love hayrides to the pumpkin patch to pick your own, corn mazes and pony rides, plus delicious homemade food and cider at Coulter’s. Stock up on apples and fall decorating items such as Indian corn and gourds.
See what else is happening this fall in our listing of events for Indiana’s Cool North.
⇐ 30 minutes or less to Coulter's Produce ⇒ 9 minutes (varies) to Imagination Glen Mountain Biking
8. Explore the fall scenery from the water by paddling and fishing in the Indiana Dunes. Fish for trout along the Lake Michigan shoreline, catch chinook and coho salmon in local streams or watch wildlife while paddling the Kankakee or East Branch of the Little Calumet River.
Ready for something sweet from a bakery or a delicious dessert? Find out which of our favorite is near you!
⇐ 9 Minutes to Fishing & Paddling ⇒ 7 minutes to Indiana Dunes Bicycling Tour
9. Mountain biking might be the most exciting way to view the changing leaves in autumn. Whether you’re an experienced mountain biker or completely new to the sport, Creekside Trails and the Outback Trail at Imagination Glen Park have courses with twists, turns, and (optional) obstacles for all skill levels.
Fall is a great time to go camping. Discover the best camping spots in Northern Indiana.
⇐ 7 minutes to Imagination Glen
10. Explore the beautiful landscapes, small-town charm, and local flavor of the Indiana Dunes area on the Indiana Dunes Bicycling Tour. This self-guided bicycling route takes road cyclists on the perfect route around the county with food, drink, and attraction stops along the way. Cyclists can ride just one part, break it up into a more leisurely overnight adventure, or challenge themselves to complete the route in one day.
Learn more about the best bike trails in Indiana’s Cool North.
See individual theatres for schedule of shows and concerts.
Indiana's Cool North
Indiana's Cool North has a number of theatres. See the individual theatres for their show and concert schedules.View Details
Flea Market every Tuesday and Wednesday, May through September
Shipshewana Flea Market
The Shipshewana Flea Market is a do-not-miss Hoosier tradition with nearly 700 booths in an open-air market covering 40 acres.View Details
Every Saturday from the beginning of May through the end of October
Broadway and Third St., next to Thomas Centennial Park
Our European Market provides a strong tradition of quality shopping, live entertainment, and a festive community experience.View Details
The first Friday of every month
Experience a themed celebration each month as the downtown is filled with live performances, shopping and dining specials, and family-friendly activities.View Details
2023 Home Games: Sept. 2, 16, 23; Oct. 14, 28; Nov. 18
University of Notre Dame
The weekends when Notre Dame Football has a home game are always a little more special than any other weekend of the year.View Details
September 22 - September 24, 2023
Arts and crafts, rides for children, a pork chop dinner, fish fry and pancake breakfast, a parade, scarecrow sculpting, variety acts, a car show, and more!View Details