It’s a great idea to call an attraction, restaurant and shop to make sure they’re open before visiting.
⇒ 20 minutes to Kercher's Sunrise Orchard
1. Bring out the flavors of autumn at the Fall Harvest Days at the Barns at Nappanee (Home of Amish Acres); a family friendly weekend event focused entirely on the beauty and bounty of the fall season. Hop on a wagon ride, savor fresh-pressed cider, tour the pumpkin patch, enjoy a Farm Feast Meal, or stroll through an 1874 farmstead (also the only Amish farm in the National Register of Historic Places).
Discover more fall family fun in Indiana’s Cool North.
⇐ 20 minutes to The Barns at Nappanee ⇒ Just minutes to the Heritage Trail loop
2. This fifth generation family-owned u-pick apple orchard and pumpkin patch at Kercher’s Sunrise Orchard, specializes in homegrown produce and homemade products like October Gold Cider (fresh pressed on site), gourds, and free hayrides to the pumpkin patch Saturdays and Sundays every weekend in October
Learn more about the best Farm Markets in Northern Indiana
⇐ Just minutes to Kercher's ⇒ 32 minutes to Rum Village Aerial Adventure Park
3. Follow the Heritage Trail: With the help of a free audio guide—complete with intriguing historical tidbits—you easily can devote a day to this 90-mile route discovering the region’s rich, diverse heritage. This scenic winding loop takes you through the vibrant communities of Elkhart, Goshen, Middlebury, Nappanee, Bristol, Wakarusa and Shipshewana. It’s safe, easy to explore, easy on your budget and in addition to the fall foliage, you’re sure to discover fun at every turn.
Discover more great places to see fall foliage in Indiana’s Cool North.
⇐ 32 minutes to The Heritage Trail ⇒ 44 minutes to Minich Farms Flower Patch
4. Experience an aerial adventure park by conquering treetop trails ranging from 16-60 feet in the air. Self guided courses allow you to take on obstacles and zip lines while you maneuver through the different trails. There are thrills to satisfy all adventure types!
Indiana’s Cool North offers so many outdoor adventures that you will want to try this fall.
⇐ 44 minutes to Rum Village Aerial Adventure Park ⇒ 10 minutes to Garwood Orchards
5. This place is loaded with fall flowers, including dahlias, potted mums, and Teddy Bear sunflowers. Peruse unique heirloom varieties of pumpkins, and pet the resident goats. Mark your calendar for a big Fall Fest on October 3 from 10am-6pm, complete with a food truck, local craft classes that include painting flower pictures, and music.
Many of our area gardens continue to be places of beauty with fall blooms.
⇐ 10 minutes to Minich Farms ⇒ 12 minutes to Coulter's
6. Come for the amazing array of apples (think Honeycrisp, Fuji, Jonagold, Pixie Crunch and so many more) you can pick yourself or buy already harvested. But don’t miss Garwood’s legendary donuts, cider, and pies. This fifth-generation orchard also offers fields of u-pick sunflowers and plenty of pumpkins, plus wagon and pony rides.
Northern Indiana has a rich and diverse culture of artisans, crafters and farmers, and the Art and Earth Trail perfectly showcases these nowhere-else-to-be-found treasures.
⇐ 12 minutes to Garwood Orchards ⇒ 30 minutes or less to Paddling & Fishing
7. The whole family will love hayrides to the pumpkin patch to pick your own, corn mazes and pony rides, plus delicious homemade food and cider at Coulter’s. Stock up on apples and fall decorating items such as Indian corn and gourds.
See what else is happening this fall in our listing of events for Indiana’s Cool North.
⇐ 30 minutes or less to Coulter's Produce ⇒ 9 minutes (varies) to Imagination Glen Mountain Biking
8. Explore the fall scenery from the water by paddling and fishing in the Indiana Dunes. Fish for trout along the Lake Michigan shoreline, catch chinook and coho salmon in local streams or watch wildlife while paddling the Kankakee or East Branch of the Little Calumet River.
Ready for something sweet from a bakery or a delicious dessert? Find out which of our favorite is near you!
⇐ 9 Minutes to Fishing & Paddling ⇒ 7 minutes to Indiana Dunes Bicycling Tour
9. Mountain biking might be the most exciting way to view the changing leaves in autumn. Whether you’re an experienced mountain biker or completely new to the sport, Creekside Trails and the Outback Trail at Imagination Glen Park have courses with twists, turns, and (optional) obstacles for all skill levels.
Fall is a great time to go camping. Discover the best camping spots in Northern Indiana.
⇐ 7 minutes to Imagination Glen
10. Explore the beautiful landscapes, small-town charm, and local flavor of the Indiana Dunes area on the Indiana Dunes Bicycling Tour. This self-guided bicycling route takes road cyclists on the perfect route around the county with food, drink, and attraction stops along the way. Cyclists can ride just one part, break it up into a more leisurely overnight adventure, or challenge themselves to complete the route in one day.
Learn more about the best bike trails in Indiana’s Cool North.
See individual theatres for schedule of shows and concerts.
Indiana's Cool North
Indiana's Cool North has a number of theatres. See the individual theatres for their show and concert schedules.View Details
January 23, 2021
Wolfe Community Building
Come watch professional ice carvers create unimaginable pieces of art side by side at the Wolfe Building! Then, warm up with a chili cook-off.View Details
February 06, 2021
Make plans for the annual trip for overnight pajama parties, and early morning shopping in jammies to take advantage of the sales. giveaways, drawings and deep discounts.View Details
June 12, 2021
Oakwood Resort Park
Bringing together 30 local and regional artists from around the northern Indiana area in an outdoor family-friendly environment.View Details
August 05 - August 08, 2021
Thousands of visitors head to Michigan City’s Washington Park each summer for a spectacle of speed and sound as some of the world’s fastest and most colorful powerboats roar across Lake MichiganView Details
Farm-to-table is no passing fad. It’s a movement that’s gaining momentum across the country for its focus on fresh, sustainable cuisine that’s locally sourced and uniquely inspired.Learn More