It’s a great idea to call an attraction, restaurant and shop to make sure they’re open before visiting.
⇒ 20 minutes to Kercher's Sunrise Orchard
1. Bring out the flavors of autumn at the Fall Harvest Days at the Barns at Nappanee (Home of Amish Acres); a family friendly weekend event focused entirely on the beauty and bounty of the fall season. Hop on a wagon ride, savor fresh-pressed cider, tour the pumpkin patch, enjoy a Farm Feast Meal, or stroll through an 1874 farmstead (also the only Amish farm in the National Register of Historic Places).
Discover more fall family fun in Indiana’s Cool North.
⇐ 20 minutes to The Barns at Nappanee ⇒ Just minutes to the Heritage Trail loop
2. This fifth generation family-owned u-pick apple orchard and pumpkin patch at Kercher’s Sunrise Orchard, specializes in homegrown produce and homemade products like October Gold Cider (fresh pressed on site), gourds, and free hayrides to the pumpkin patch Saturdays and Sundays every weekend in October
Learn more about the best Farm Markets in Northern Indiana
⇐ Just minutes to Kercher's ⇒ 32 minutes to Rum Village Aerial Adventure Park
3. Follow the Heritage Trail: With the help of a free audio guide—complete with intriguing historical tidbits—you easily can devote a day to this 90-mile route discovering the region’s rich, diverse heritage. This scenic winding loop takes you through the vibrant communities of Elkhart, Goshen, Middlebury, Nappanee, Bristol, Wakarusa and Shipshewana. It’s safe, easy to explore, easy on your budget and in addition to the fall foliage, you’re sure to discover fun at every turn.
Discover more great places to see fall foliage in Indiana’s Cool North.
⇐ 32 minutes to The Heritage Trail ⇒ 44 minutes to Minich Farms Flower Patch
4. Experience an aerial adventure park by conquering treetop trails ranging from 16-60 feet in the air. Self guided courses allow you to take on obstacles and zip lines while you maneuver through the different trails. There are thrills to satisfy all adventure types!
Indiana’s Cool North offers so many outdoor adventures that you will want to try this fall.
⇐ 44 minutes to Rum Village Aerial Adventure Park ⇒ 10 minutes to Garwood Orchards
5. This place is loaded with fall flowers, including dahlias, potted mums, and Teddy Bear sunflowers. Peruse unique heirloom varieties of pumpkins, and pet the resident goats. Mark your calendar for a big Fall Fest on October 3 from 10am-6pm, complete with a food truck, local craft classes that include painting flower pictures, and music.
Many of our area gardens continue to be places of beauty with fall blooms.
⇐ 10 minutes to Minich Farms ⇒ 12 minutes to Coulter's
6. Come for the amazing array of apples (think Honeycrisp, Fuji, Jonagold, Pixie Crunch and so many more) you can pick yourself or buy already harvested. But don’t miss Garwood’s legendary donuts, cider, and pies. This fifth-generation orchard also offers fields of u-pick sunflowers and plenty of pumpkins, plus wagon and pony rides.
Northern Indiana has a rich and diverse culture of artisans, crafters and farmers, and the Art and Earth Trail perfectly showcases these nowhere-else-to-be-found treasures.
⇐ 12 minutes to Garwood Orchards ⇒ 30 minutes or less to Paddling & Fishing
7. The whole family will love hayrides to the pumpkin patch to pick your own, corn mazes and pony rides, plus delicious homemade food and cider at Coulter’s. Stock up on apples and fall decorating items such as Indian corn and gourds.
See what else is happening this fall in our listing of events for Indiana’s Cool North.
⇐ 30 minutes or less to Coulter's Produce ⇒ 9 minutes (varies) to Imagination Glen Mountain Biking
8. Explore the fall scenery from the water by paddling and fishing in the Indiana Dunes. Fish for trout along the Lake Michigan shoreline, catch chinook and coho salmon in local streams or watch wildlife while paddling the Kankakee or East Branch of the Little Calumet River.
Ready for something sweet from a bakery or a delicious dessert? Find out which of our favorite is near you!
⇐ 9 Minutes to Fishing & Paddling ⇒ 7 minutes to Indiana Dunes Bicycling Tour
9. Mountain biking might be the most exciting way to view the changing leaves in autumn. Whether you’re an experienced mountain biker or completely new to the sport, Creekside Trails and the Outback Trail at Imagination Glen Park have courses with twists, turns, and (optional) obstacles for all skill levels.
Fall is a great time to go camping. Discover the best camping spots in Northern Indiana.
⇐ 7 minutes to Imagination Glen
10. Explore the beautiful landscapes, small-town charm, and local flavor of the Indiana Dunes area on the Indiana Dunes Bicycling Tour. This self-guided bicycling route takes road cyclists on the perfect route around the county with food, drink, and attraction stops along the way. Cyclists can ride just one part, break it up into a more leisurely overnight adventure, or challenge themselves to complete the route in one day.
Learn more about the best bike trails in Indiana’s Cool North.
See individual theatres for schedule of shows and concerts.
Indiana's Cool North
Indiana's Cool North has several theatres that are currently scheduling shows.View Details
Every Saturday from the beginning of May through the end of November
Broadway and Third St., next to Thomas Centennial Park
Our European Market provides a strong tradition of quality shopping, live entertainment, and a festive community experience.View Details
Every Saturday, 8am to 1pm, May to October
Providing our community with the freshest produce, providing a space filled with locally grown food and artisan goods.View Details
Thursday-Sunday, September 26-October 31, 2020
The Barns at Nappanee
Fall is one of the most beautiful seasons in Indiana with its cool, comfortable days and crisp October evenings. The Barns at Nappanee (Home of Amish Acres) will be celebrating fall!View Details
September 29 - October 31, 2020
Thistleberry Farm is a favorite fall destination for families with its corn maze, sunflower field, pumpkin patch and more.View Details
October 23-25, and 29-30. See website for hours
Pumpkins, lights, and decorations will transform the Potawatomi Zoo into the perfect spot to celebrate Halloween safely in 2020.View Details
October 24, 25, and 31
Washington Park Zoo
Make plans to fly your broomstick down to the Washington Park Zoo with your young goblins, ghosts, princesses, and zooperheros to spend a day with the animals.View Details
October 30, 2020
The Barns at Nappanee
Put on your favorite costume and join us at The Barns at Nappanee for our first Halloween BarnFest, including games, hayrides, candy, and much more!View Details
November 6th - 28th | Friday & Saturday December 1st - January 2nd | Tuesday – Sunday (Closed Christmas Day and New Years Eve)
Shipshewana Auction & Flea Market
Features more than two million LED Christmas lights displayed in a mile-long symphony of various light scenes in ShipshewanaView Details
Autumn spells adventure in so many ways – with lively celebrations, quiet moments, and a blaze of glorious color framing every byway. So slip away to Indiana’s Cool North in the most glorious of seasonsLearn More
Looking for some exciting fall family fun in 2020? Here are some of the best must-see autumn events to make the most of the season in Indiana’s Cool North.Learn More