Indiana’s Cool North has a number of destinations perfect for you and your significant other!
It’s a great idea to call an attraction, restaurant and shop to make sure they’re open before visiting.
⇒ 22 minutes to Ivy's Bohemia House
1. Bao’s Pastry is a newly-opened Valparaiso bakery serving authentic French pastries and traditional desserts. Within a few weeks of opening, locals voted for Bao’s Pastry as the best place to buy Sweet Treats in the Indiana Dunes area. Area locals line up outside the bakery to grab their favorite pastries before they sell out.
How about some outdoor dining? Indiana’s Cool North offers a number of great options.
⇐ 13 minutes to Bao's Pastry ⇒ just minutes to Dunes Area B&B
2. Ivy’s Bohemia House serves freshly-made brunch, lunch, and dinner in historic downtown Chesterton. Ivy’s was recently named the top Outdoor Dining Experience by Indiana Dunes locals. Their eclectic cuisine, dedicated staff, and backyard outdoor dining area make for a special date night meal.
Perhaps you would like to end the evening by sipping some wine. Indiana’s Cool North has a number of wineries close by.
⇐ just minutes to Ivy's Bohemia House ⇒ 23 minutes to Michigan City LaPorte Breweries
3. No couples getaway is complete without an overnight stay in one of the Indiana Dunes area B&Bs. Whether you’re looking to stay in a historic downtown home, a cozy woodland retreat, or a train station railcar suite, the Indiana Dunes area has the perfect Bed and Breakfast for your couples getaway.
Ready to get up and do some walking and wandering? Discover the hiking trails and riverwalks in Indianas Cool North.
⇐ 23 minutes to Dunes Area B&B's ⇒ 5 minutes to Blue Chip Casino, Hotel & Spa
4. The brewers in LaPorte County are passionate about their products, and there are not only great brews, but great food to pair with it! You and your significant other will enjoy breweries close to the lake, offering a place to unwind, and take in the scenery. Another brewery is in an old brewery that was idle for 79 years. Take your own brewery tour; in Michigan City visit Shoreline Brewery, Zorn Brew Works and Burn ‘Em Brewing. While in LaPorte visit Back Road Brewery. The Brewery Lodge, a boutique resort hotel, would make a great place to spend the night!
We have also created a guide that combines suds and outdoor activities in Indiana’s Cool North.
⇐ 5 minutes to Michigan City Breweries ⇒ 9 minutes to Shady Creek Winery
5. You will never need to leave the Blue Chip Casino, Hotel and Spa during your getaway. The slot machines and gaming tables are open, and great dining is part of the Blue Chip experience; you can choose anything from steakhouse to casual dining to quick snacks. After a day of gaming in the casino, or strolling around the lake, Blue Chip’s hotel offers the perfect place to relax.
Discover the best beers in Indiana’s Cool North….Cheers to the best beers!
⇐ 9 minutes to Blue Chip Casino, Hotel & Spa ⇒ 65 minutes to Romantic Road Trips (Nappanee)
6. Custom-crafted wines, delicious food, friendly tastings, and a casual, welcoming atmosphere distinguish this destination winery near Lake Michigan’s southern shore. It will be the perfect place to enjoy the wines created on the premises using grapes harvested from area vineyards. The modern facility is located on 20 acres and invites tasting and lingering on patios, covered porches and around cozy fireplaces.
If shopping is your passion, Indiana’s Cool North has some great shopping nearby!
⇐ 65 minutes to Shady Creek Winery ⇒ 5 minutes to Heritage Trail Loop
8. Whether you are newlyweds or married 30+ years, discover a romantic getaway close to home in Elkhart County. Take the roads less traveled along the Heritage Trail through quaint small towns and vibrant cities. Stop to smell the roses and explore the Quilt Gardens bursting to life with a million blooms, check out unique boutiques, hand crafted furniture which will soon become family heirlooms and bakeries with shelves filled with fresh baked bread, cookies, pies and more. Ready for some amorous edibles? The wood-fired pizza at Venturi in Goshen is faithful to the Neapolitan tradition or experience Artisan in Elkhart, a AAA 4-Diamond incomparable dining experience.
Venturi has award winning pizza, and according to Northern Indiana locals there are more award winning pizzas. A Chicago food critic wrote all about it!.
⇐ 5 minutes to Romantic Roadtrip ⇒ 5 minutes to Das Dutchman Essenhaus
9. Make roadtripping easy. Let the Heritage Trail audio driving tour be your personal guide to must-see attractions, special finds and behind the scenes glimpses of Amish life in Elkhart County. Traveling along lively Main Streets and scenic backroads you’ll find surprises at every turn and soon discover why the editors of LIFE consider it one of “America’s Most Scenic Drives.”
The Heritage Trail’s scenic winding loop takes you through the vibrant communities of Elkhart, Goshen, Middlebury, Nappanee, Bristol, Wakarusa and Shipshewana. It’s easy to explore, easy on your budget and you’re sure to discover fun at every turn. Bet yet, the Heritage Trail audio driving tour is absolutely free! Pick up a copy today at the Visitor Center.
Find other trails throughout Indiana’s Cool North in the Art and Earth Trail.
⇐ 5 minutes to Heritage Trail Loop ⇒ 12 minutes to Shipshewana
9. Das Dutchman Essenhaus in Middlebury is the perfect destination for a couples getaway. The expansive yet quiet campus offers the perfect retreat with a package that include an overnight stay at the Essenhaus Inn and Conference Center, complimentary hot breakfast, family style Amish inspired meal at the on-site restaurant, carriage ride, mini golf and shopping coupons good at the Essenhaus Village Shops. Just ask for their Amish Country Package.
Discover 14 more unique places to lay your head in Northern Indiana in the Top 15 Places to Stay.
⇐ 12 minutes to Das Dutchman Essenhaus
10. Shopping, theatre, history, and great Amish food combine in the Amish community of Shipshewana. Shop the downtown or travel along quiet back roads where “shingle shops” (small businesses marked by simple signs or “shingles”) grace proud Amish farmsteads. You’ll find famous Amish meals in the local restaurants. The Menno-Hof Interpretive Center in Shipshewana details Amish and Mennonite history through life-size dioramas and lively exhibits. The Blue Gate Theatre and Shipshewana Event Center offer both popular Broadway musicals and well-known musical performers to fill your evenings.
If you like history and heritage, Indiana’s Cool North has plenty of places you can explore!
See individual theatres for schedule of shows and concerts.
Indiana's Cool North
Indiana's Cool North has at least two theatres that are continuing to provide shows this summer.View Details
Check website for dates and times
South Shore Line Trains between Chicago, IL and South Bend, IN
Come ride the South Shore to learn about the historic steel-making region of Northwest Indiana, Indiana Dunes State and National Parks, and the breadbasket region of Indiana.View Details
Weekends, April thru September; Open every night Memorial Day weekend to the third week in August.
49'er Drive-In Theatre
Experience a blast from the past at a place that has been chosen as one of the top drive-ins in the nation.View Details
Every Saturday from the beginning of May through the end of November
Broadway and Third St., next to Thomas Centennial Park
Our European Market provides a strong tradition of quality shopping, live entertainment, and a festive community experience.View Details
Flea Market every Tuesday and Wednesday, May 19 through October 14; Auctions held Wednesday & Friday year-round
Shipshewana Flea Market
The Shipshewana Flea Market is a do-not-miss Hoosier tradition with nearly 900 booths in an open-air market covering 40 acres.View Details
Every Saturday, 8am to 1pm, May 23 to October 10
Corner of Lincolnway & Monroe St
An outdoor market where you can buy direct from the producer vegetables, fruit, meat, eggs, baked goods and flowers.View Details
Every Saturday, 8am to 1pm, May to October
Providing our community with the freshest produce, providing a space filled with locally grown food and artisan goods.View Details
Tuesday-Sunday. Check website for hours and events.
The Barns at Nappanee
Fall is one of the most beautiful seasons in Indiana with its cool, comfortable days and crisp October evenings. The Barns at Nappanee (Home of Amish Acres) will be celebrating fall!View Details
Looking for some exciting fall family fun in 2020? Here are some of the best must-see autumn events to make the most of the season in Indiana’s Cool North.Learn More
Chocolate should be its own food group! After all, researchers have shown the benefits of eating chocolate. It’s high in anti-oxidants, it levels out sugar levels in the body, and it makes a person happy.Learn More