Indiana’s Cool North has instagrammable places inviting you to visit this fall! Be sure to share your instagram shot at #IndianasCoolNorth.
It’s a great idea to call an attraction, restaurant and shop to make sure they’re open before visiting.
⇒ minutes to Indiana Dunes National Park
1. The Indiana Dunes are found along the coast of the fifth largest freshwater lake in the world. Known by many for it’s beautiful Lake Michigan beaches, the Indiana Dunes area is also home to some of the world’s largest lakeshore dunes, providing opportunities to take in stunning views from the top of a sand dune.
Fall offers some of the best seasonal beers. Be sure to check out what has been selected as favorites in Indiana’s Cool North.
⇐ minutes to Indiana Dunes ⇒ 10 minutes to Century of Progress Homes at Indiana Dunes National Park
2. The Indiana Dunes State Park offers spectacular views of the Chicago Skyline at sunset. The park also allows you to unplug from everyday stress and connect to nature with over 70 miles of hike-able trails with glorious fall colors and over 350 species of migratory birds.
Here are some more fantastic places to see fall foliage in Indiana’s Cool North.
⇐ 10 minutes to Indiana Dunes State Park ⇒ 18 minutes to Washington Park
3. Five historic houses, originally displayed in the 1933 Chicago World’s Fair, are now located in the Indiana Dunes National Park. Tour the Florida Tropical House, as well as the Cypress Log, Armco-Ferro, Wieboldt-Rostone houses, and the yet-to-be-restored House of Tomorrow. The two-hour ranger-guided tours begin and end at the Indiana Dunes Visitor Center.
There’s so much to do in the Indiana Dunes; check out the Top 5 Things to Do.
⇐ 18 minutes to Century of Progress Homes ⇒ 26 minutes to Garwood Orchards
4. Washington Park, with it’s iconic lighthouse, is a favorite instagram spot, no matter the season. But the fall sunsets and the fall foliage makes it even more spectacular!
Learn more about the top 15 things locals love to do in Indiana’s Cool North.
⇐ 26 minutes to Washington Park ⇒ 12 minutes to Pine Lake
5. At Garwood Orchards you’ll enjoy amazing (and affordable) country fall fun at its finest surrounded by beautiful foliage. The foliage, the apples, the wagon, the horses, all make for those amazing instagram shots!
Discover more farms and orchards in Indiana’s Cool North on the Art and Earth Trail.
⇐ 12 minutes to Garwood Orchards ⇒ 35 minutes to University of Notre Dame
6. Are you ready for Livin’ the Lake Life? Then LaPorte is your place to go. Pine Lake and Stone Lake reflect the fall colors so magnificently in the clear waters. And as a bonus, there’s some serious fishing, where you can find perch, bass, bluegill, northern pike, and walleye.
Learn more about the Top 5 Things to do in Michigan City LaPorte!
⇐ 35 minutes to Pine Lake ⇒ 37 minutes to Wakarusa Pumpkin Tree
7. The tree-shaded campus of Notre Dame is beautiful any time of the year, but especially so when the leaves are changing colors. Guided Tours are suspended and campus buildings are restricted, but you can still admire the spires of the Notre Dame Basilica, and find reflection and beauty at the Grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes. Quiet spots, sacred spots and iconic places make the University of Notre Dame a place for capturing those special instagram shots. It’s a great idea to call or check online to make sure there are no restrictions before taking a stroll on campus.
Discover what we think are the most instagrammable places in Indiana’s Cool North any time of the year!
⇐ 37 minutes to University of Notre Dame ⇒ 31 minutes to Bonneyville Mill
8. Visit Wakarusa, a quaint small town with century-old building and friendly shops. Gaze in wonder at Waterford Street’s brilliantly colored sugar maples en route to the towering Pumpkin Tree in the town square in October.
There’s still more fall family fun activities to be experienced during these last weeks of October!
⇐ 31 minutes to Wakarusa Pumpkin Tree ⇒ 8 minutes to Pumpkinvine Nature Trail (Middlebury)
9. The rustic Bonneyville Mill is a step back in time and a step into a favorite instagram spot in Elkhart County, and the fall colors add to the majestic scene. The grist mill has been in operation for more than 150 years, and you hear the story of the mill’s history from the friendly miller, as huge millstones rumble.
There’s more in Elkhart County; discover the Top 5 Things to Do in Elkhart County!
⇐ 8 minutes to Bonneyville Mill
10. Bike or hike under a canopy of trees blazing in crimson, gold, and orange. One of the most popular fall trails in the region is the Pumpkinvine Nature Trail, traveling from Shipshewana to Goshen through Amish countryside, where you’re likely to see the fall harvest underway.
Fall is a great time to take advantage of the bike trails in Northern Indiana.
See individual theatres for schedule of shows and concerts.
Indiana's Cool North
Indiana's Cool North has a number of theatres. See the individual theatres for their show and concert schedules.View Details
Auctions are held every Wednesday and Friday, year-round
Auction Buildings and Barns at Shipshewana Trading Place
Antique and miscellaneous auctions and a livestock auction is held every Wednesday. A horse auction is held every Friday, in addition to special yearly sales.View Details
Every Saturday from the beginning of May through the end of October
Broadway and Third St., next to Thomas Centennial Park
Our European Market provides a strong tradition of quality shopping, live entertainment, and a festive community experience.View Details
August 19 - May 31, 2022
University of Notre Dame (Home games)
The University of Notre Dame announced home athletic events - not including football, basketball and hockey - that fans can attend free of chargeView Details
2021 Home Games: Sept. 11, 18; Oct. 2, 23, 30; Nov. 6, 20
University of Notre Dame
The weekends when Notre Dame Football has a home game are always a little more special than any other weekend of the year.View Details
Every Friday, Saturday and Sunday, Sept 18 - Oct 31
Fall fun and activities, including a giant 50' slide & 12 acre corn maze with over 5+ miles of pathwayView Details
September 20 - December 31, 2021
Sunset Hill Farm County Park
Always available! Every month will feature a different topic and route for a self-guided hike through Sunset Hill Farm Park.View Details
If you’re looking for exciting—and beautiful—outdoor fall activities in Indiana’s Cool North, here are five of the best places to see great fall foliage.Learn More