It’s a great idea to call an attraction, restaurant and shop to make sure they’re open before visiting.
⇒ 12 minutes to Das Dutchman Essenhaus
1. A Shipshewana shopping excursion is an adventure! Don’t miss the Davis Mercantile, Yoder’s Department Store, and the many shops downtown that are open year round. You will also want to amble along the Amish back roads watching for shingle shops, indicated by the signs (or shingles) that announce their wares. If you visit on a Tuesday or Wednesday before September 30, you can also visit the Flea Market, to extend your adventure.
⇐ 12 minutes to Shipshewana Shopping ⇒ 16 minutes to Goshen
2. Visit Das Dutchman Essenhaus in Middlebury and browse seven unique Village Shops, each housed in an original Amish farm outbuilding. You can browse the quilts, handbags, books, furniture, and artworks. Whenever you are ready to take a break, the Das Dutchman Essenhaus Restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
There are many more unique places to shop and explore on Northern Indiana’s Art and Earth Trail.
⇐ 16 minutes to Essenhaus Village Shops ⇒ 19 minutes to Gateway Mile
3. Downtown Goshen is a shopper’s haven and a must-stop on your journey. It’s central location along the Heritage Trail makes it a magnet for creative young entrepreneurs. Filled with eclectic shops, specialty boutiques, cozy cafes and lively entertainment, Goshen is a city where innovation meets craftsmanship.
Discover which pizza places were nominated best in Indiana’s Cool North.
⇐ 19 minutes to Goshen ⇒ 54 minutes to LaPorte
3. Downtown Elkhart’s Gateway Mile is a walkable mile filled with inviting locally owned shops, restaurants, gorgeous gardens, museums and more. Eat at a downtown bistro, The Vine or savor plated perfection at Artisan, a AAA Four Diamond and Wine Spectator Award of Excellence winner. Update your wardrobe with contemporary fashions at Stephenson’s, Bella’s Boutique or Twisted String. Enjoy a sweet treat of delicious homemade ice cream at the Vanilla Bean Creamery. There’s so much more to explore along the Gateway Mile.
Discover more amazing gardens in Indiana’s Cool North.
⇐ 54 minutes to Gateway Mile ⇒ 21 minutes to Michigan City Uptown Arts
5. Downtown LaPorte offers classy antiques, boutiques, and specialty shops.. If you are hunting for vintage treasures, be sure to stop at the Coachman Antique Market. Other stores to include in your shopping trip: The Uptown Shoppes, Thaddeus Cutler Art Gallery, Younique Boutique, Pink Sheep….and so much more.
Learn more about the best tacos in Indiana’s Cool North! The locals have spoken.
⇐ 21 minutes to LaPorte ⇒ 7 minutes to Lighthouse Place Premium Outlets
6. Michigan City is an edgy and artistic community, and their downtown, the Uptown Arts District, is buzzing with hip breweries, eateries, boutiques and galleries. You will have a hard time deciding where to shop! Should it be antiques and vintage goods at Hoity Toity or Patina Vintage Goods; or the art galleries and specialty stores: Unsalted No Sharks, Static Age Record Store, Nest Number 4. So much to choose from!
While you are here you may want to explore these top five things in the Michigan City LaPorte area.
⇐ 7 minutes to Michigan City Uptown Arts ⇒ 10 minutes to Schoolhouse Shops
7. Nothing beats finding that perfect outfit or item when you’re on your shopping excursion, and you’ll have plenty of opportunities at the Lighthouse Place Premium Outlets, where the best brand names are available at unbelievable prices. From Adidas to Zumiez (and everything in between) you’ll love the shopping—and the savings—at Lighthouse Place Premium Outlets.
We have a list of Top 15 unique places to eat in Indiana’s Cool North. (It’s a good idea to call ahead before visiting, to make sure they are open).
⇐ 23 minutes to Lighthouse Place Premium Outlets ⇒ 15 minutes to Valpo Shopping
8. The Schoolhouse Shop and Antiques, a former 1886 Porter County Schoolhouse, offers an eclectic array of antiques and gifts near the Indiana Dunes, along with artisan food products, toys, and clothes. It’s a Dunes shopping destination.
Looking for more picturesque places? Check out some of our Top Instagram photos.
⇐ 10 minutes to Schoolhouse Shop ⇒ 20 minutes to Valparaiso
9. Wander through the clothing and homeware shops, get lost in the aisles of the bookstore, or spend an afternoon exploring the antique mall. Enjoy Chesterton’s European Market on Saturdays or the Coffee Creek Farmers Market on Wednesdays from May to October.
Are you shopping for vintage and antique goods? Indiana’s Cool North has many communities where antiques take center stage. Create your own Antiques Roadshow.
⇐ 10 minutes to Valpo Shopping
10. The streets of historic downtown Valparaiso are filled with unique gift shops, clothing stores, antique shops, and gourmet bakeries. Be sure to visit the Valparaiso Market for fresh local produce and handmade items from local artisans on Tuesdays and Saturdays from June to October.
Check out the top five things to do while you are in the Indiana Dunes!
See individual theatres for schedule of shows and concerts.
Indiana's Cool North
Indiana's Cool North has several theatres that are currently scheduling shows.View Details
Every Saturday from the beginning of May through the end of November
Broadway and Third St., next to Thomas Centennial Park
Our European Market provides a strong tradition of quality shopping, live entertainment, and a festive community experience.View Details
Every Saturday, 8am to 1pm, May to October
Providing our community with the freshest produce, providing a space filled with locally grown food and artisan goods.View Details
Thursday-Sunday, September 26-October 31, 2020
The Barns at Nappanee
Fall is one of the most beautiful seasons in Indiana with its cool, comfortable days and crisp October evenings. The Barns at Nappanee (Home of Amish Acres) will be celebrating fall!View Details
September 29 - October 31, 2020
Thistleberry Farm is a favorite fall destination for families with its corn maze, sunflower field, pumpkin patch and more.View Details
October 23-25, and 29-30. See website for hours
Pumpkins, lights, and decorations will transform the Potawatomi Zoo into the perfect spot to celebrate Halloween safely in 2020.View Details
October 24, 25, and 31
Washington Park Zoo
Make plans to fly your broomstick down to the Washington Park Zoo with your young goblins, ghosts, princesses, and zooperheros to spend a day with the animals.View Details
October 30, 2020
The Barns at Nappanee
Put on your favorite costume and join us at The Barns at Nappanee for our first Halloween BarnFest, including games, hayrides, candy, and much more!View Details
Autumn spells adventure in so many ways – with lively celebrations, quiet moments, and a blaze of glorious color framing every byway. So slip away to Indiana’s Cool North in the most glorious of seasonsLearn More
Looking for some exciting fall family fun in 2020? Here are some of the best must-see autumn events to make the most of the season in Indiana’s Cool North.Learn More