It’s a great idea to call an attraction, restaurant and shop to make sure they’re open before visiting.
⇒ 23 minutes to Fidler Pond
1. Explore Elkhart County Parks where you’ll discover hundreds of recreational activities from hiking trails, to blue ways to open air picnic shelters at 4 large county parks.
One of the most popular destinations within the park system is Bonneyville Mill. Here you can tour Indiana’s oldest operating grist mill, explore the biking and hiking trails, and take home a bag of freshly ground cornmeal. But don’t leave without a selfie in front of the historic red mill. It is the most instagramable spot in Elkhart County.
Out top instagram photos from 2019, may inspire you to visit other places in Indiana’s Cool North.
⇐ 23 minutes to Bonneyville Mill ⇒ 30 minutes to Wellfield Botanic Gardens
2. This 100-acre park has an 80-acre pond with canoe, kayak and pedal boat rentals as well as fishing pole rentals for catch and release. Enjoy the popular walking trail around the pond or simply relax and enjoy nature.
Fall is a great time to hit the bike trails, all across Northern Indiana.
⇐ 30 minutes to Fidler Pond ⇒ 41 minutes to Potato Creek State Park
3. Explore Wellfield’s 36 gorgeous acres featuring over 20 themed garden areas and 18 acres of lakes, streams, waterfalls and other water features. Open year round, Wellfield is beautiful in all seasons and features family-friendly events.
Discover more amazing gardens in Indiana’s Cool North.
⇐ 41 minute to Wellfield Botanic Gardens ⇒ 31 minutes to Luhr County Park
4. When you’re in a nearly 4,000-acre state park in Indiana’s Cool North, you’re going to have some excellent opportunities for hiking. Potato Creek State Park is one of the best destinations for hiking, paved path and trail biking, picnicking, horseback riding, fishing, and camping. Fall will be a beautiful time to visit!
Indiana’s Cool North offers so many outdoor adventures that you will want to take advantage of before the cold weather.
⇐ 31 minutes to Potato Creek State Park ⇒ 4 minutes to Kesling Park
5. Luhr County Park offers 89 acres of upland forest, prairie, wetland and stocked pond. The park offers picnicking, shelter rentals, playground, nature center and trails and a no-leash dog area. There is also a free full-service nature center where children of all ages can find hands-on environmental displays and exhibits. If you want to do more than walk or hike, there is also adult exercise equipment and 2 pods of playtrail.
Discover some of the best places to see fall foliage in Indiana’s Cool North.
⇐ 4 minutes to Luhr County Park ⇒ 30 minutes to Washington Park
6. Located on the south end of LaPorte, this 90-acre park features walking/nature trails, Fort LaPlay Porte playground, picnic shelters, soccer fields, tennis courts, a fitness court, and sledding hill. The four-diamond baseball/softball complex hosts tournaments and recreational leagues.
Make a weekend of it, and find more adventures near Lake Michigan,
⇐ 30 minutes to Kesling Park ⇒ 11 minutes to Indiana Dunes National Park
7. Washington Park features a beach for walking along the shore, shady grounds and a lighthouse; making it one of Northern Indiana’s favorite Instagram shots. The park is right next door to two popular attractions – the Washington Park Zoo and the Lubeznik Center for the Arts.
Find the other most Instagrammable Places in Indiana’s Cool North.
⇐ 11 minutes to Washington Park ⇒ Next door to Indiana Dunes State Park
8. A backdrop of lofty sand dunes frames the southern tip of Lake Michigan creating one of the nation’s best-loved treasures – the Indiana Dunes National Park. Soft sand beaches and clear waters draw visitors to this 15-mile stretch of coastline. Hike the dunes and trails near the shore or head inland through woodlands and wetlands, a haven for birdwatchers intent on spotting some of the 350 species that live here or migrate through.
Learn more about the many fun-packed weekend adventures available in Northern Indiana.
⇐ Next door to Indiana Dunes National Park ⇒ 17 minutes to Hannah's Hope Playgound
9. There’s more to the Indiana Dunes than lakeshore and sand. Get some maps at the State Park in Porter and you’re off on trails where you’ll discover peaceful woodlands, rivers and wetlands, all rich with birds and wildlife. In fact, birdwatchers in the know flock to the area, a haven for numerous species of birds. Bird towers and viewing platforms are available to assist the viewing.
It’s still warm enough for outdoor dining — learn more about our favorite locations in Indiana’s Cool North.
⇐ 17 minutes to Indiana Dunes State Park
10. Portage’s Founders Square Park is home to Hannah’s Hope Playground, an all-inclusive playground for children of all abilities to play together. The neighboring splash pad is the perfect place for young kids to cool off on a hot summer day. The tree-studded Woodland Park offers 64-acres of wide open space for kids to run around outdoors and explore nature.
Learn more about other fun, kid-friendly activities in Indiana’s Cool North.
See individual theatres for schedule of shows and concerts.
Indiana's Cool North
Indiana's Cool North has a number of theatres. See the individual theatres for their show and concert schedules.View Details
Every Saturday from the beginning of May through the end of October
Broadway and Third St., next to Thomas Centennial Park
Our European Market provides a strong tradition of quality shopping, live entertainment, and a festive community experience.View Details
Flea Market every Tuesday and Wednesday, May through September; Auctions held Wednesday & Friday year-round
Shipshewana Flea Market
The Shipshewana Flea Market is a do-not-miss Hoosier tradition with nearly 700 booths in an open-air market covering 40 acres.View Details
Swap Meets are held the 3rd Saturday of the month, daylight to 1pm, May-Oct
Shipshewana Auction Grounds
The Swap Meet is an outdoor, open-air marketplace, selling fowl, poultry, small animals, pets, produce, baked goods, antiques, guns, flowers, trees, shrubs, and foodView Details
May 30 - September 15, 2021
Various locations in Elkhart County
This colorful patchwork of quilt inspired gardens and quilt-themed murals is linked by the roads that form the Heritage Trail.View Details
Wednesday's and Thursday's June 3-August 26. See website for specific dates.
A different band is featured each week throughout the summer… jazz, pop, blues, country, Christian, barber-shop, big bandView Details